Canada Student Loans
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected person.
For more information, visit this website.
- Be a full-time student.
You are considered full-time if you are taking 60% of a 100% course load. For example: you are considered full-time if you take 9 of a possible 15 credits per semester. Generally, this means you are taking at least 3 three credit classes each semester.
How to Apply
Visit your province of residence’s homepage:
|British Columbia||Newfoundland and Labrador||Quebec|
|Saskatchewan||Prince Edward Island||Yukon|
|Manitoba||Nova Scotia||Northwest Territories|
Keep This Information Handy as You Apply:
Apply online through your province of residence! This eliminates having to submit a paper form that can get lost in the mail. Use the paper applications as last resort.
- Institutional Code – BPSV
- Period of Study Dates
- For example:
- Full Year - September 1, 2016 – April 30, 2017
- Fall Semester only – September 1, 2016 – December 31, 2016
- Winter Semester only – January 1, 2017 – April 30, 2017
- For example:
- Social Insurance Number
- Living expenses estimate
- Most recent income tax information - line 150 of tax return
- Resources (scholarship amounts, savings, etc)
- Keep documentation and receipts marked and readily avaliable. If you are ever selected for an audit, these documents will come in handy.Keep documentation and receipts marked and readily available -- even after you graduate or finish school. If you are ever selected for an audit, these documents will come in handy.
Maintaining Interest-Free Status
If you have a previous student loan and not requiring additional student loans for the upcoming year, it is your responsibility to ensure that you fill out the necessary documentation that states you are still a full-time student. If you neglect to do so, you will be required to start repaying your loans.
- For Canada Student Loans (BC, SK NS, NB, PEI, NFLD) - Schedule 2
- For Alberta Loans - Form B
- For Manitoba Loans - Manitoba
- For Ontario Loans - ON Schedule 2
- For Quebec Loans - Quebec